Due to natural weakness of the muscles, holding the organs in their original positions becomes difficult and organ gets protruded through a membrane or cavity wall, usually the abdominal cavity is known as hernia.
There are mainly 3 Types of hernia
- Inguinal hernia
- Umbilical hernia
- Femoral hernia
This type of hernia is very common in men. Maximum times this takes place before birth. In Inguinal hernia the groin region the testes descend into the scrotum through the narrow passage of inguinal canal. Due to this approaching downwards of the hernial contents into the scrotum it enlarges and becomes difficult to distinguish from the swelling of the testes or scrotum.
This type of hernia is generally found in women. In Femoral hernia the abdominal contents progress into the front of the thigh through an opening which carries the femoral artery into the leg. This artery supplies the blood to the leg.
This is another commonly happening hernia. It also occurs at birth or in infancy. In Umbilical hernia, the hernial sac bulges out through the umbilicus, which is the place of weak abdominal muscle.
Causes for Hernia
- Several factors are responsible for the pathological state of hernia, which may be classified as follows:
- Congenital weakness or the developmental defect in the abdominal muscles or ligaments, which produces hernia in the early childhood.
- An unexpected pull while handling heavy item, it may split the muscles and ligaments.
- It may lead to hernia if the intra-abdominal pressure is elevated
- Intra-abdominal pressure may elevate due to enlarged prostate, obstruction in urine passage; continuous coughing in smokers, constipation etc…
- In the women during pregnancy and childbirth abdominal pressure increases it may also cause hernia.
- Faulty (Sedentary) life style, lack of ample physical exercise may cause flabbiness of the abdominal muscles, obesity. In such conditions abdominal wall loses its tone and abdominal organs begin to droop.
Yoga Treatment for Hernia
Mudra and bandh
Beside the above mentioned asana and pranayama practice of yoga nidra
, concentration and meditation gives the best result.
YogaNidra is a state of conscious Deep Sleep. YogaNidra brings an incredible calmness, quietness and clarity. It has great Therapeutics values.