Misconceptions About Meditation

hotice_steve
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Misconceptions About Meditation

Post by hotice_steve »

Common Misconceptions About Meditation,

Meditation is not Relaxation.
Relaxation is a natural process where the mind gets so tired of its own chatter that is just drops off for some moments.
Though this may be a good way to get a glimpse of the no-mind state, it is not valuable in itself. We can come back from relaxation with exactly the same problems and prejudices we had before. Meditation, on the other hand, is a continuous evolutionary process, each experience taking us to higher levels of awareness and understanding, clearing away the mental garbage of many lifetimes.

Meditation is not Concentration.
Concentration can certainly be an aid to meditation. In Patanjali’s Ashtanga Yoga, Dharana (concentration) complements Dhyana (meditation). But they are radically different processes. Concentration is effort, mind is effortlessness. Concentration is exclusive, meditation is inclusive. Concentration works with the mind, meditation is beyond the mind.

Meditation is not struggling to get processes & techniques done.
Processes & techniques do aid one to get closer to a transcendental state, but finally have to be discarded to get into one. Rather than struggling with processes & techniques, easing into them is the key to successful meditation.

Meditation is not having supernormal experiences.
The most common folly (wrong idea) about meditation is that it involves seeing colours and light, hearing music and sensing the presence of Divine beings. While aspirants may have these experiences, they are not meditation. All experiences are of the mind, and meditation can happen only when you drop the mind!

Meditation is not an escape from Life.
In fact, meditation is intimately connected with Life. Consciousness spiralling outward is Life. Life spiralling inward is meditation! Meditation is the best and most practical coping mechanism for handling every situation of life with ease – including making money, managing relationships, handling stress or illness – and a thousand other things you wouldn’t dream of calling ‘spiritual’.
chandresh_kumar

Re: Misconceptions About Meditation

Post by chandresh_kumar »

A ton of Thanks Steve for this nice information. However most of the members of THC experienced meditation, even then I would also add, Meditation could be understood only by practice. The person who does..... understand, without doing this, no one can know.

It is one of the best practices of human life, which is, I understand, essential.

Best regards to our masters, who convey great information, for the benefit of our spiritual to physical life.
landy

Re: Misconceptions About Meditation

Post by landy »

Hi Steve,

I just wanted to say that I, like a lot of people, don't spend enough time meditating. My life is so busy that it is hard to fit it in and I know that is wrong. I do go to a healing group once a week where we always start off with a meditation and we go on a journey to various places which I am able to do most of the time, but when we get to this place and we are left to link with our guides or see who we meet then I don't get any further. The others in the group either meet their guides or have wonderful experiences. I hope to do this eventually but at the moment it isn't happening for me. I know more meditation could help and I do try sometimes but what with work, grandchildren, husband and the house my life is very busy. Do you have anything to suggest to help me when I am with my healing group in a meditation please?

Love and light

Landy :F0